Functional Position Description
Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) recommends the abilities listed below in order to successfully complete their courses.
Tundra Medical Resources is committed to providing culturally relevant and sensitive education to all learners. Experiential knowledge is recognized and respected. Reasonable accommodation will be made for any student with special needs. Course content can be customized to meet specific group objectives or requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
- If you are under 18 years of age on the first day of the course, written proof of parent/guardian consent must be provided by the first day of the course.
- Generally, a high school education or equivalent is recommended to master the knowledge and skills required of wilderness medicine providers. You must have the ability to calculate medication dosages based on body weight/mass. You must have the ability to document all relevant information in the prescribed format.
- You must be able to communicate via radio and telephone. You must have the ability to interpret instructions and to comprehend manuals, maps and road signs in English or your local language. You must have the ability to interview patients, family members and bystanders, and to converse with co-workers and other rescue personnel in English or your local language. You must be able to perform the physical and diagnostic skills required for the level of certification; this includes determining blood pressure and lung sounds (WFR, WEMS and WALS certifications).
- You must have the ability to assist in lifting, carrying and balancing a person weighing up to 300 pounds (136 kilograms). You must possess good manual dexterity, with the ability to perform all tasks related to the highest quality patient care. You must have the ability to access another person on uneven terrain; to work in confined spaces; and to withstand extreme environmental conditions.
- You must have the ability to use good judgment and remain calm in high stress situations.
- You must successfully complete both written and practical skills performance and testing conducted by Tundra Medical Resources.