Basic Life Support (BLS)
Basic Life Support (BLS) is the foundational emergency cardiovascular course for all healthcare professionals and first responders intended to help improve patient outcomes. BLS teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in pre-hospital and in-facility settings. Current BLS status is a pre-requisite for advanced and intermediary resuscitation courses and is also a requirement in most healthcare settings. BLS Provider status surpasses requirements for CPR (C) or CPR Healthcare Provider (HCP) unless stated otherwise by an organization or college.
The Heart & Stroke BLS course is designed for:
- Healthcare professionals and trained first responders in a wide variety of in-facility and pre-hospital settings
- People who require BLS Provider status and CPR training to enter into a healthcare-related job or program
- Course durations provided are based on a student-to-instructor ratio for learning stations of 6:1, and do not include additional times needed for optional lessons, breaks or transitions, or additional students.
BLS Provider Course - Approximate course duration: 4 hours
BLS Renewal Course - Approximate course duration: 2.25 hours
The Tundra Med Difference:
What sets us aside from other CPR instructors? Tundra Medical Resources CPR instructors are specifically chosen for their experience in the field. All instructors have extensive Critical Care backgrounds and have performed CPR/BLS many times in the clinical setting, allowing us to give you the most realistic and informative training possible.
The Heart & Stroke BLS course offers:
The latest resuscitation science and adult-learning techniques, from Canada’s leading expert in resuscitation science and education
Realistic scenarios, simulations and animations depicting rescuers, teams and patients
Course and content flexibility for Heart & Stroke instructors and students, including adaptability to local protocols
Upon successful completion, a BLS completion card valid for 12 months
All BLS courses focus on the essential skills rescuers need to know to perform high-quality CPR in a wide variety of settings. After successfully completing one of our BLS courses, students will be able to:
- Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Describe and apply all of the steps of the Chain of Survival
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult, child, and infant
- Describe and demonstrate the important early use of an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Provide effective ventilations using a barrier device
- Provide effective ventilations using a bag-valve-mask
- Perform as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Describe and apply the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for an adult, child, and infant
All Heart & Stroke Basic Life Support completion cards are valid for one year from the date of successful course completion. Students who successfully complete the course will receive an email that provides access to their BLS Provider eCard. This electronic proof of course completion can be accessed directly online, downloaded or printed for convenience. A Heart & Stroke-printed course completion card is available for an additional fee.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Eligible for two (2) credits per hour under Section 2 of the MOC Program as “Traineeships”.
Other Colleges / Regulatory Bodies
Heart & Stroke courses are recognized across Canada. We are committed to continuous assessment and accreditation. Check with your college or professional affiliation to see if this course is eligible for credits.
Students are encouraged to review the course learning materials prior to the course date. Workbooks are included in your course, and can be picked up in the two weeks prior to your course. eBooks and optional materials are available for purchase here.
Only Heart & Stroke branded BLS materials are accepted for use in courses where a Heart & Stroke Foundation BLS completion card is issued.
- BLS Provider Manual – in print (RE3310E) or eBook (RE3310ED)
- 2015 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers – in print (RE0120E) or eBook (RE0120ED)
Successful completion with certification is based on demonstrated proficiency with practical skills, and a successful grade on a final written exam. H2O Medical Resources is committed to making reasonable accommodation to any student with special needs.
BLS Provider Renewal
BLS Provider Renewal course is a fast-paced course designed for experienced healthcare providers; covering single-rescuer and multi-rescuer basic life support skills for application in both prehospital and in-facility environments, with a focus on high-quality CPR and team dynamics. The BLS Provider Renewal course assumes comprehensive awareness, knowledge and skill proficiency in Heart & Stroke BLS concepts. The course is best suited to healthcare providers who use BLS skills regularly and therefore require limited practice to be successful.
Providers must have either:
- A Heart & Stroke BLS certificate issued within the past 12 months and issued since the release of the current Guidelines; OR
- Heart & Stroke BLS Renewal Prerequisite Challenge Certificate
No BLS Renewal courses will be available during the 11 month period following the release of updated Guidelines. Current Guidelines were released in April, 2021.